Michael R. Perna
- B.A., Temple University (1974)
- J.D., St. Mary’s University School of Law (1979)
- Master of Laws, University of Salzburg (Austria) University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law (1984)
- Law Review: Published in the Field of Consumer Lending
- Transnational Business & Taxation
- Admitted to practice law in Pennsylvania, Texas and Colorado
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth, Tenth and D.C. Circuits, and the U.S. Supreme Court
- Licensed Pennsylvania Real Estate Broker
- Commission of the European Communities, Brussels, Belgium (1980-1982)
- Attorney with Internal Market and Industrial Affairs Division
- Mountain States Legal Foundation (1983-1985)
- Lead attorney in public interest litigation in multiple state and federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court, in the areas of constitutional law, public lands, and Indian affairs
- Partner, Perna & Abracht, LLC (1985-present)
- Concentration in Personal Injury, Business Litigation, Estate Planning and Administration, Real Estate and Domestic Issues
- Kennett Run Charities, Inc.: Founder, Director and Past President
- Rotary Club of Kennett Square: Past Director and President
- Kennett Rotary Foundation: Past Director and President
- Longwood Rotary Club: Founding Chairman
- Red Clay Trail Project: Founding Chairman
- Chester County Futures: Mentor
- United Way of the Kennett Area: Past Director
- Southern Chester County Chamber of Commerce: Past Director
- Kennett Area YMCA: Past Director
- Kennett Area Park Authority: Past Director
- E Kneale Dockstader Foundation: Director
- Rotarian of the Year (1999)
- “Outstanding Citizen” Award, Southern Chester County Chamber of Commerce (2003)
- “Outstanding Conservationist” Award, Red Clay Valley Association (2007)
I was raised in Southern Chester County and educated both within and outside the United States. After traveling extensively for almost 10 years, I returned to Chester County where I have practiced law since 1985. Having lived and worked in several states and countries before finally re-settling in Pennsylvania, I have a fairly good perspective on the unique opportunities, resources and lifestyle offered by our semi-rural yet considerably cosmopolitan county.
During my professional career, I have had the opportunity to litigate in multiple state and federal courts, and have handled matters ranging from those merely about money and property, to those involving more vital issues such as civil rights, personal liberty, child welfare and eldercare. At times, I have been disappointed with our admittedly flawed and cumbersome legal system, but more often I am encouraged by how individuals working within that system consistently rise to the occasion.
Apart from my legal career, I believe that overall quality of life—no matter where one lives—is much improved when we are engaged with family and community. As the only lawyer in an extended Italian family, I have always had ample opportunity for engagement, which I have eagerly (and sometimes regrettably) embraced. To counter the adverse health effects of being surrounded by great Italian cooks, when not working I can be found at the local YMCA, out running the roads (not so much anymore), or on the practice field with my favorite pee-wee football team (Go Titans!).
Talk to Us Now!
Our team is ready
Reach us with your questions or concerns by filling out the form. Someone from our firm will reach out to you within 48 hours. If you are concerned about confidentiality and would rather speak to us in person...
Just call us at
For legal representation in Southeastern Pennsylvania or Northern Delaware