Apps like Uber and Lyft provide a convenient way to get around town, but what happens if you are involved in an accident with a rideshare vehicle? Whether you are injured as a passenger, motorist, pedestrian, or bicyclist, it is important to know who may be liable for damages. You may be required to file claims with multiple insurance companies, so having a good car accident attorney in your corner is vital.
Determining Liability in Rideshare Accident Cases
Like any other motor vehicle accident, crashes involving rideshare drivers must be investigated to determine who was at fault. Although Uber and Lyft both carry $1 million liability insurance policies, you may have to file a claim with the rideshare driver’s personal auto insurance company, another motorist’s insurer, or even your own car insurance.
An accident lawyer can conduct a thorough investigation, determine who may be at fault for your injuries, and help you recover compensation for damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. Filing multiple insurance claims can be a stressful, complicated process. When more than one insurance company is involved, they may even join forces to minimize or deny your claim. Your lawyer can handle all negotiations with insurers and help to ensure all responsible parties are held accountable.
If You Are Injured in a Rideshare Accident
Although rideshare companies carry liability insurance, there are certain factors that can influence whether you can recover compensation from them after a crash. For example, the driver must be logged into the app and “on the clock” when the accident occurred. If they are not, you may have to seek recovery from the driver’s personal auto insurance.
If another motorist is partially or solely at fault, their insurance should cover the cost of your damages. Depending on the circumstances, where you live, and the specifics of your policy, you may have to file a Medical Payments, Personal Injury Protection, and/or Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist claim with your own auto insurance company. Each case is unique. Finding a personal injury lawyer who has experience handling rideshare accident cases can help to ensure your rights and interests are fully protected.
Steps to Take If You are Involved in a Rideshare Accident
After any crash, taking certain steps can help preserve valuable evidence and ensure you receive the medical care you need. Regardless of how the crash occurred, taking the following steps can help protect your rights and your well-being.
- Call 911 and wait for first responders to arrive
- Seek medical attention
- Get the name, contact information, and insurance information from the rideshare driver and any other motorists who were involved in the accident
- Report the crash to the rideshare company as soon as possible. The most convenient way to do this is by using their app or website
- Take pictures of the scene, damage to vehicles, and your injuries
- If possible, obtain a police report at the scene
- Keep all accident-related medical records, bills, and receipts in a safe place
- Make sure to save any texts, emails, or other correspondence from the rideshare company, driver, and their insurers
- Before speaking with insurance adjusters, signing anything, or accepting a settlement, contact a car accident attorney.
There is no need to rush to determine who is at fault or to accept the first settlement offer that comes along. Contact a rideshare accident attorney who can evaluate your case and advise you of your options.